Some of you may know that I've been wanting a garden of my very own over the past few years. My attempt at growing seven varieties of tomatoes a few years back failed when 1) the bugs got to my tomatoes before I could and 2) their growing receptacles were not nearly as big enough as they should have been. I really wanted to build some planter boxes but since we're hoping to be up out of this here home in the next year or so, I opted for some mobile wine barrel gardening. I was determined to get some tomatoes this year.
I came across this blog: Love Apple Farm. They had some really terrific advice on growing organically, including the use of bone meal, organic fertilizer, aspirin, fish head and crushed egg shells...WHAAAA???! Yes, for reals! Supposedly the fish head is a source of nitrogen and calcium. Who would have thought that the questionable use of a shopping space known as Koreana Market would come in handy for us white folk?! The aspirin is to boost yield and the immune system of the tomatoes, making them more disease resistant. The egg shells are for extra calcium as well.
Here are my little poopsies.
I've planted four different varieties in two wine barrels:
Big Beef, Black Russian Heirloom,
Green Grape, and Pineapple Tomato
We're about 45 days into this and here is the progress thus far:
DAY 1
DAY 17
DAY 28 DAY 35
Grandma gave me two Topsy Turvy planters. They were very intriguing. (Don't try and deny you had thought about buying one too! Everyone has at some point!) In one, I have cherry tomatoes. In the other we have strawberries (which aren't doing so hot) and lemon cucumber (down at the bottom). Stay tuned for the results!
TOPSY TURVY
(Cherry tomato (L) and strawberry/lemon cucumber (R))
Aren't they cute and precious?!
Lemon cucs
There's the Turner garden so far.
Let's hope that we get a chance to partake before some disease or stupid little bug does!
0 comments:
Post a Comment